Wednesday, May 14, 2008

So What's Wrong With A Little Shameless Self-Promotion?

I was sitting at my laptop the other day just minding my own business, not bothering a living soul. I promise. I wasn't bothering anyone.

Well, as history would have it, my step-daughter walked in the door carrying a package addressed to me. I was astonished when she announced who it was from. Really astonished.

"EzineArticles," she said, handing me the package.

"You're kidding?" I turned. "EzineArticles? What are they sending me?"

I was surprised, you see, because, as we all know, EzineArticles is an Internet business. I get e-mails from them all the time. Why would I be getting a snail mail package from an online business, and an article directory, no less?

Well, I raced to open the package. I was curious. I was so curious, in fact, that all my other mail just fell to a stack of unopened envelopes of various sizes. But that package, the one from EzineArticles, attracted my attention the most. It couldn't wait.

I ripped, I tore, I swore, I sunk my teeth into the tape and incised the heck out of that package until it finally snapped and bore its contents right before my very eyes. Oh, and what a sweet surprise!

I gazed in awe at a brand new coffee mug, complete with the EzineArticles logo and web address on it. Magnificent! How did Chris Knight know I like coffee? I thought.

Well, it was the best Thanksgiving gift I've ever received. The letter accompanying it said so:

"Thanks for being an EzineArticles.com Platinum-level author! You're receiving this small token of our appreciation for sending in your best articles."

My goodness. It was signed by none other than Christopher Knight himself. What an honor!

Now, I was aware that Chris and EzineArticles.com was taking advantage of my addiction to coffee for the purpose of shamelessly promoting their article directory in the privacy of my home. But I didn't care! I love coffee. I drink it every day.

I've never given Chris any money. I've never spent one dime at EzineArticles.com. It's a totally free article directory and I use it for all it's worth. Sure, I have about 30 articles listed there, but is that anything to speak of? Is that any reason to appreciate me, little old me? I mean, I'm just some guy who uses them to shamelessly promote my business. I do it about once a week. Should I stop? I wondered.

Well, I've slept on it and I've decided I won't stop. I like coffee too much and I'm hoping next year Chris will send me another mug so I can give it to my wife. After all, she likes coffee too. And there's really nothing wrong with a little shameless self-promotion every now and then. Thank you, Chris! And may the universe bless you and your sweet little mug this year with lots of articles on coffee addiction.

Allen Taylor is an award-winning journalist and freelance writer. He is the operations manager for a full-service content provider at http://www.articlecontentprovider.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home